Protesting students from Kisii University engaged the police on a better part of Friday, May 28, 2021. The heated riot brought several activities into a standstill, even as the exchanging of stones and teargas continued. What stirred the gruesome Kisii University student strike?
- READ ALSO: Freshmen admitted at Kisii University.
Various live coverage videos from the scene showed several uncontrollable learners taking to the streets. It was not long before the Kisii Central Police Station released its anti-riot squad. What followed is a chaotic situation of freeing protesters with a confident few chanting back at dozens of armed cops.
What caused the Kisii University student strike today
Early findings have confirmed six main reasons why the students of Kisi University decided to strike.
- Firstly, the students decry unresolved issues around the university examinations
- Secondly, learners are unhappy with the allegedly punitive school fee requirements
- Thirdly, KSUSA is unhappy with the unjust exclusion of 4.1 students from the exam timetable
- Fourth, students are suffering the ineffective ERP system at the varsity
- Fifth, curious learners want to know the fate of the second mini graduation
- Finally, KSU students are pursuing their rights, which they claim have long been overlooked by the university administration
KSU learners went on strike a few years ago over the exams and fee payment puzzle.
The recent riot is an indication that no action has since been taken to avoid recurrences of similar chaos.
KSU Fire and property damages
There are fears that the angry group of students started fires, in the process destroying properties.
- READ ALSO: Full list of best companies in Kisii town.
Meanwhile, no reliable report is available on the severity of the strike losses.
KSUSA statement on the academic crisis
A letter seen by Kisii Finest confirms that KSUSA chairman, Kenneth Chemase, and Secretary General, Charles Okoth, were at the forefront.
The two KSUSA officials want the above mentioned issues addressed immediately for the good of all comrades.
Kisii University workers strike
The Kisii University student strike happened a day after the Kisii University lecturers engaged in a similar riot because of defaulted CBA agreements.
The double-strike tragedy is now pulling lens closer on the competency of top KSU administrators.
Professor John S. Akama is particularly on the spot; being vice Chancellor of the lately upside down Kisii University.
- READ ALSO: Top 10 facts about life in Kisii Town.
News about Kisii University student strike have caused panic among learners, staff members, parents, and guardians. Even so, the situation is now under control.