Martha Karua and Raila Odinga are still making headlines being flag bears of the revolutionary Azimio La Umoja Coalition. More so, Kenyans are curious about Martha Karua education background and decorated career profile.
- READ ALSO: Martha Karua Sons and Daughters [Photos].
The “Iron Lady” from Kimunye Village in Kirinyaga District, Gichugu Constituency, is not only a party leader in NARC Kenya but also a running mate to Raila Odinga ahead of August Polls.
Martha Karua education background and career history
The highly learned Martha Wangari Karua attended three primary schools before proceeding to secondary education.
She started schooling at Mugumo Primary but later joined Kabare Boarding Primary. She eventually settled at St. Michael’s Girls Boarding Primary school.
Which High School did Martha Karua attend?
Karua enrolled at Kabare Girls Boarding School before transferring to Kiburia Girl’s Secondary School completing her O-Levels at Ngiriambu High School.
In 1974, she excelled the East African School Certificate exams from Karoti Girls.
In addition, Karua cleared her A-Levels at the prestigious Nairobi Girls now called State House High School.
Martha Karua career history and educational merits
In 1977, Karua received admission to the University of Nairobi for a Bachelors’ Degree in Law.
- READ ALSO: Mohammed Abduba Dida Biography & Comedy.
Upon graduating in 1980, she became a sought-after magistrate within Nairobi City.
Karua who joined the Kenya School of Law in 1980 graduated with a post-graduate Law Diploma in 1981.
Luckily, she was admitted to the bar in the early 80s. Decades later, Karua registered for a Masters’ Degree at the United States International University (USIU).
In 2011, she was a Global Executive MBA graduand in a colourful ceremony held in Santiago, USA.
The educational background and career timeline of Martha Karua
The former Gichugu MP has worked in senior offices and in the process pursued justice in several high profile cases.
Being the first woman lawyer elected into parliament is evidence of her admirable leadership skills.
- 1981-1987: Court magistrate at Makadara, Nakuru, and Kibera
- 1987: Started private practice, Martha Karua & Co. Advocates
- 1992-2013: Gichugu Member of Parliamentary (4 consecutive terms)
- 1998: National Secretary for Constitutional Affairs
- 2001 – 2002: Member of the Select Committee on Constitutional Review
- 2003 – 2005: Minister of Water in the Mwai Kibaki government
- 2008-2013: Minister for Justice and Constitutional Affairs
- 2013: NARC Kenya presidential aspirant (6th with 43,881 votes)
- 2017: Lost to Kirinyaga County Governor Anne Waiguru
- 2021: Senior Counsel Martha Karua elected Interim Mount Kenya Unity Forum Spokesperson
- May 2022: Appointed running mate by ODM Party leader Raila Odinga
Who is Martha Karua? She is an advocate of human rights and social justice with extensive experience in government administration and legislature.
She had this to say on Twitter, shortly after Raila declared her a preferred running mate over Kalonzo Musyoka.
“Ladies and Gentlemen, people of Kenya, family and friends, I am deeply honoured by the decision to nominate me as the Deputy Presidential Candidate for the Azimio La Umoja One Kenya Coalition Party. I stand before you fully aware of the implications and symbolism of this moment.”Hon. Martha Wangari Karua.
Martha Wangari Karua is on record for risking her career in defending defiant officials during the authoritative regime of President Daniel Moi.
She is also notable for defending her position as Gichugu MP in 1998, 2002, and 2007 General Elections.
- READ ALSO: Martha Karua Husband Photos & Divorce.
Martha Karua educational background and career history summarize the life story of a veteran Kenyan female politician. If elected alongside Raila Odinga, she will write history as the first woman Deputy President.