Hon James Ongwae is a Kenyan politician now governor of the Kisii County Government. The county boss has been enjoying a good support since 2007 when he first joined active politics. James Ongwae biography speaks more about his wife and family -even more on his children, house, politics, profile, and success as a high profile personality and leader.
- READ ALSO: James Gesami biography.
Ongwae came back to the limelight for hosting the 2020 Mashujaa Day celebrations to expectations. This recent success indicates that his career has been taking shape over the years. Overall, his excellence James Ongwae holds a clean record of governance owing to his longstanding political career. For this reason, many look up to him for an example and inspiration.
James Ongwae profile summary
- Real name: James Elvis Omariba Ongwae
- Date of birth: 1952
- Place of birth: Mwamonari Location, Marani District
- James Ongwae age: 69 years
- James Ongwae tribe: Kisii
- Governor Ongwae Constituency: Kitutu Chache North
- James Ongwae county: Kisii County
- James Ongwae wife: Elizabeth Gesare Ongwae
- James Ongwae children: 4 children
- Profession: Public Policy Administrator
James Ongwae biography
The renowned Ongwae comes from Kitutu Chache North Constituency where he was born in 1952.
- READ ALSO: Amos Nyaribo biography.
Details about James Ongwae family, education, career, and politics have been long under the covers but not any more
James Ongwae education
Ongwae attended Itierio Primary School and later Kisii High School for his secondary education. He completed his O-level and A-levels at Kisii High before joining the University of Nairobi.
Ongwae concentrated on a Bachelors of Arts | (Hons) degree in Economics and Government.
- READ ALSO: Hon Silvanus Osoro biography.
In addition, the Kisii Governor proceeded to the The Hague in Netherlands for his postgraduate studies at the Institute of Social Studies (ISS). It is here that Ongwae completed his master’s degree in Public Policy and Administration.
The county boss proceeded to complete a management and government postgraduate diploma at the East & Southern Africa Management Institute in Tanzania.
James Ongwae house in Rioma Village
The inaugural governor owns a stately mansion in Rioma Village, Kisii. Further sources indicate another homely property in Simbauti Farm, Kijauri, Bobaru, Nyamira County.
The latter is highly guarded with several gates hiding it from the outside world of cameras.
Governor Ongwae career in politics
The governor has worked in several ranks and places throughout his prolific career.
More so, he now takes pride in every one of his professional and political milestone; James Ongwae biography says more.
From a district officer to his retirement
Ongwae started working as a District officer before gaining the status of an Immigration Officer.
- READ ALSO: James Ongwae wife Elizabeth bio.
He went on to become a Management Analyst and then a Director of Civil Service Reform Programme. Ongwae later served in the following capacities.
- Permanent Secretary in the Office of the President
- Director of Personnel Management (DPM)
- Secretary for the Teachers Service Commission
- Permanent Secretary (Ministry of Agriculture)
While serving as a public servant, Ongwae promoted government initiatives and presided over different projects and committees including the following;
- Maseno University council
- Egerton University council
- University of Nairobi council
- Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology council
About the same time, the governor led in Adult Education, commissions of Higher Education, and the Kenya National Examination Council.
He was equally an associate member at the Kenya Institute of Management. Ongwae was an active professional until 2005 when he retired and switched to politics.
- READ ALSO: Simba Arati biography.
James Ongwae becoming the Kisii County Governor
Ongwae gave politics his first short in 2007 when he vied for the Kitutu Chache Constituency Parliamentary Seat. He lost the race only to surface again in 2010 behind the new Kenyan Constitution.
Ongwae rose to his executive position in 2013 with the Orange Democratic Movement (ODM) ticket.
He was later re-elected to the position in the 2017 general elections and has since been serving as the area governor. He defeated opponents such as;
- Chris Obure – Jubilee Party of Kenya
- Patrick Lumumba of Wiper Democratic Movement
- Boniface Omboto of Maendeleo Chap Chap (MCC)
- Omingo Magara of People’s Democratic Party (PDP)
- Manson Nyamweya of Kenya National Congress (KNC)
Ongwae assumed office for his second term as governor in 2017 and is still the county governor alongside the following officials.
Kisii County executive committee members
- Mr. Vincent Sagwe
- Mr. Moses O. Onderi
- Mr. John Billy Momanyi
- Mr. Duke Mainga Ondiba
- Dr Walter Bichang’a Okibo
- Mrs. Sarah Angima Omache
- Mr. Esman Nyandikah Onsarigo
- Mrs. Edinah Nyaboke Kangwana
- Mr. Amos Andama Nyamoko
- Dr. Skitter Wangeci Ocharo
Government of Kisii County officials
- Mr. Patrick Lumumba – County Secretary
- Onchari Kenani – Economic Advisor
- Ms. Mogaka Biliah – Office of the Governor (Chief Officer & Chief of Staff)
Kisii County Deputy governor Joash Maangi
The famous Joash Maangi has been serving as the second in command in Ongwae’s government.
- READ ALSO: Joash Maangi biography.
The deputy governor is likely to take part in the Kisii County gubernatorial race come 2022.
James Ongwae net worth
The politician has accumulated much wealth from his profession and political career. Ongwae takes home about Ksh. 924,000 for his monthly salary.
- READ ALSO: Simeon Nyachae biography.
He also bags some more income from his personal investments. James Ongwae is now a figure of interest for his whopping wealth (now under review).
James Ongwae contacts
- Facebook: @governorjamesongwae
Do you want to communicate with the governor? Connect now through his Facebook account @governorjamesongwae and other social media platforms.
- READ ALSO: Fred Matiangi biography.
James Ongwae biography provides us with the life story of the celebrated inaugural Kisii governor. Indeed, he is a true Kenyan hero judging from his progressive and inclusive leadership style.