The legendary Miguna is a Kenyan-Canadian attorney, barrister, solicitor, author, and columnist. He is not your ordinary citizen when it comes to fighting for human rights and speaking his mind on corrupt leadership. Straight away is Dr Miguna Miguna biography with intimate details about his life story, controversial deportation, and journey home.
- READ ALSO: Fred Matiangi biography.
Miguna Miguna latest news has confirmed that he came to the full limelight after a dramatic falling away from the inner circles of ODM leader Raila Amolo Odinga. Exposing the former Prime Minister not only sparked unceasing enmity with the government but also ignited the National Resistance Movement against alleged despots.
12 profile facts in Miguna Miguna biography
NRM leader Miguna is a Pan African soldier of logic and no doubt a freedom fighter against neo-colonialism.
- READ ALSO: Stephen Kalonzo Musyoka bio.
In addition, he is an advocate of free speech without fear of authority. Who is Miguna Miguna?
1. Miguna age is 60 years as of 2023
Born on December 31, 1962, Miguna Miguna age is 60 years as of 2023.
He prefers to cut the birthday cake with close family members including children and wife. Also invited are patriots and lovers of justice.
2. Dr Miguna real names were Joshua Miguna until 1997
Miguna Joshua Miguna changed his name to Miguna Miguna in 1997. It is however unclear why he dropped the first name, Joshua.
Notably, Miguna Miguna JKL Shows salute him for being the only Kenyan man with the same name twice.
3. Miguna home is in Magina village within Kisumu County
The ancestral home of Miguna Miguna is in Magina Village in Bondo where he is last born in the family of Mr Miguna.
- READ ALSO: Gideon Moi biography.
He has the same name twice because he was named after his dad.
4. NRM General became an orphan at age 25
Miguna Miguna biography indicates that he never saw his dad Mr Miguna; he died when his mother Margret was three months pregnant.
Besides, his mother Margret Miguna died in 1987 when Miguna was in his mid-twenties.
Miguna is the last born sibling with five sisters and one brother.
5. Dr Miguna education history and leadership in SONU
Dr Miguna attended Apondo Primary School, Onjiko Secondary, and later Njiiris High School.
Good grades saw him joining the University of Nairobi for a bachelor’s degree in Literature and Political science.
The bold Miguna became chairperson in the influential Student Organisation of Nairobi University, popularly called SONU, between 1986 and 1987.
Unfortunately, he was expelled from UoN for his rebellious attitude towards the institution and the government of Moi.
6. President Moi detained and caused the expulsion of Miguna from UoN
The iron and fist regime of President Daniel Arap Moi harassed Miguna in 1987 for using his influence as UoN student leader to demand multi-party democracy.
- READ ALSO: William Ruto bio.
As a result, he was detained and later expelled from the University of Nairobi.
7. He became a refugee in Tanzania and the Kingdom of Swaziland
The headstrong Miguna fled Kenya by foot and settled in Tanzania before finding asylum in the Kingdom of Swaziland.
In 1988, the government of Canada granted Miguna permanent political asylum.
8. He earned first-class honours from the University of Toronto in 1990
The rejected Miguna joined the University of Toronto in Canada for a Bachelor of Arts in political science and philosophy.
He would graduate with first-class honours for his sharp brains and brilliance.
9. He was admitted to the Ontario Bar in 1995
Miguna who had received a Juris Doctorate Degree in 1993 was admitted to the Ontario Bar in 1995.
- READ ALSO: CJ David Kenani Maraga bio.
In 2001, Miguna joined Osgoode Hall Law School for law studies before scooping a distinction in Masters of Law.
10. Dr Miguna returned to Kenya in 2007 after 20 years in exile
The exiled Miguna remained in touch with his motherland between 1987 and 2007.
For instance, he was the Coordinator for the Committee for Democracy in Kenya (CDK) starting 1988 until 1994.
Homecoming in 2007 saw him admitted as Advocate of the High Court of Kenya in 2008.
11. Miguna became senior advisor to Raila Odinga in 2009
The outspoken Miguna joined politics but was defeated in the Nyando Constituency primaries by Frederick Outa Otieno.
His ODM gang elected him senior adviser on coalition affairs alongside Kivutha Kibwana who was in charge of coalition affairs.
12. He has been warring with ODM leader Raila Odinga since 2011
Miguna was demoted from Raila’s office in August 2011 without pay on the account of gross misconduct.
- READ ALSO: Chief Justice Martha Koome bio.
Efforts to reinstate him in December 2011 failed because he had already declared war against “despot Raila Odinga.”
He officially left ODM Party in 2012 ahead of the Nairobi County gubernatorial race in the 2013 General Elections.
The disputed 2017 presidential results saw Miguna back in Odinga’s yard once again. What followed is a mock swearing-in ceremony on January 30, 2018.
The brave Miguna administered the Oath of Office to the self-proclaimed “People’s President Raila Amolo Odinga.”
Miguna Miguna deportation in 2018
Top legal minds have been slapping each other over the divisive deportation of Dr Miguna.
Efforts to prove that he is a bonafide citizen of Kenya are yet to bear fruits amid political confrontations.
Away from citizenship wrangles is a family that keeps the outright Miguna Miguna grounded.
Dr Miguna wives, children, and family
Miguna family is one that many Kenyans admire for its beauty and calmness.
The general is surely getting a treat of love away from rough tweets and locking horns with men of position and power.
Dr Miguna Miguna wife Jane
Miguna and Kenyan wife Jane exchanged vows in a colourful wedding ceremony held on 6 August 2000.
- READ ALSO: President Uhuru Kenyatta bio.
Jane Miguna is a beauty to behold with three lovely children among them second-born twins.
Miguna’s first wife Tracey Wynter
In 1995, Miguna met and engaged Tracey Wynter. The couple stayed in a single room because Miguna was struggling for survival in a foreign land at the time.
Sadly, their relationship of one child, Atieno Juma, born July 4, 1995, ended a few years later.
List of Miguna books and publications
- Treason: The Case Against Tyrants & Renegades. Ontario: Integrity Books (2019)
- Kidneys for the King: Deforming the Status Quo in Kenya. Ontario: Integrity Books. (2013)
- Peeling Back the Mask: A Quest for Justice in Kenya. London: Gilgamesh Africa (2012).
- Toes Have Tales. Toronto: Av Publications (1995)
- Afrika’s Volcanic Song. Toronto: Av Publications (1995)
- Songs of Fire. Toronto: Av Publications (1994)
- Disgraceful Osgoode and Other Essays. Toronto: Av Publications (1994)
The general has authored even more papers and books since the 80s.
Dr Miguna Miguna Twitter
Barrister Miguna is vocal on Twitter than all other social media platforms combined.
He commands close to 2 million Twitter followers and millions more on Facebook.com.
These social media are handy in promoting his Canadian KMM Lawyers and Law Firm.
Miguna’s contacts and addresses
- Twitter: @MigunaMiguna
- Office Tel: 905-760-6006
- Website: https://kmmlawyers.com
- Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
The knowledgeable Kenyan solicitor is an all-time freedom fighter with no certainty of making peace with perceived despots.
- READ ALSO: Raila Amolo Odinga bio.
Dr Miguna Miguna biography narrates his clean academic legacy and political agonies. He is lately a stranger in motherland Kenya because of fueling radical opinions against the state.