Professor Samson Kegengo Ongeri is one of the longest-serving and most prominent Kisii politicians of our time. The former Member of Parliament for Nyaribari Masaba constituency is still an influential Gusii leader in his eighties. Samson Kegengo Ongeri biography investigates his educational qualifications, family background, wife, wealth, power positions, and achievements.
Senator Kisii County is the latest position that Sam Ongeri brags in his long-standing political career. He will likely engage opponents such Hon Simba Arati and Senator Janet Ongera in the Kisii County Governor James Ongwae succession race.
Hon Samson Kegengo Ongeri profiles summary
- Real name: Samson Kegengo Ongeri
- Popularly: Sam Ongeri
- Date of birth: February 23, 1938
- Birth sign: Pisces
- Place of birth: Gesusu, Nyaribari Masaba
- Professor Sam Ongeri age: 83 years
- Ethnicity: Kisii
- County: Kisii County
- Nationality: Kenyan (East Africa)
- Sam Ongeri Instagram: #samongeri
- Sam Ongeri Facebook: @ProfsamsonOngeri
- Sen Sam Ongeri Twitter: @Prof_SamOngeri
- Occupation: Politician
- Sen Sam Ongeri wife: Elizabeth Ongeri
- Sam Ongeri children: 4
- Years active: 1987
- Religion: Seventh Day Adventist
- Sexual orientation: Straight
- Relationship status: Married
Samson Kegengo Ongeri is famous for serving as a Kisii County Senator, formerly MP in the National Assembly of Kenya.
Samson Kegengo Ongeri biography with photos
Ambassador Prof Samson Ongeri comes from Gesusu, Nyaribari Masaba in Kisii County, where he first tested his leadership skills as an MP.
Ongeri later joined national leadership before going international.
When was Ongeri born?
The leader from Kisii was born on February 23, 1938.
He is among other notable politicians born during the pre-independence days.
How old is Sam Ongeri?
Senator Kisii County Sam Ongeri is 83 years old. He recently celebrated his 83rd birthday on February 23, 2021.
Rival Kisii politicians have previously used Prof Sam Ongeri age as a campaigning weapon against the senator.
Prof Sam Ongeri education background
Honourable Ongeri started schooling in 1943 and completed studies at the University of Nairobi in 1976.
Here is a summary of Dr Ongera’s academics profile.
- 1943 – 1951: Gesusu Primary and Intermediate
- 1952 – 1957: Bugema Missionary College, Uganda
- 1959 – 1961: University of Delhi, Pre-Medical Course
- 1961 – 1966: University of Bobmay, Bachelors of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery
- 1970 – 1972: Edinburg University, Pre-Board Examination
- 1971 – 1972: University of London, Child Health (DCH)
- 1971 – 1972: Royal College of Physicians (UK), Physician
- 1973 – 1976: University of Nairobi, WHO Course in Immunology
Sam Ongeri has attended several learning institutions in Kenya, Uganda, India, and the United Kingdom.
Samson Ongeri biography confirms that he is indeed one of the most educated Kenyan politicians today.
Dr Sam Ongeri professional career history
Ongeri started his professional career as a physician in the 60s. He worked in the field for about 20 years before joining politics in the late 80s.
- 1966 – 1970: Public Service, Medical Doctor of Health
- 1972 – 1988: Nairobi University, Lecturer/Professor
- 1992 – 1997: UNEP Nairobi, Diplomatic Services
- 1992 – 1997: University of Nairobi Council Chairman
Ongeri juggled between his professions as a doctor and politician before elective posts swayed him entirely.
Samson Kegengo Ongeri biography and political profile
Ongeri first joined politics in 1988 and has remained active over the years. He will likely stay in the limelight for some more.
Here is a brief of Prof Samson Ongeri’s career profile.
- 1988 – 1992: Nyaribari Masaba Member of Parliament (KANU)
- 1988 – 1992: Cabinet as Minister for Technical and Vocational Education
- 1992: Lost MP seat to Hezron Manduku of KANU
- 1997 – 2002: Nyaribari Masaba Member of Parliament (KANU)
- 2002: Lost MP seat to Hezron Manduku of Ford People
- 2007 – 2012: Sam Ongeri Minister of Education
- 2007 – 2013: Nyaribari Masaba Member of Parliament (KANU)
- 2012 – 2013: Minister of Foreign Minister of Affairs
- 2013: Lost to Chris Obure in the Kisii County Senator race
- 2017 – 2022: Kisii County senator
- 2022: Aspirant governor Kisii County
Sam Ongeri biography concludes that he is still pushing the political wheel and will likely participate in the 2022 general elections.
Ongeri surviving Al-Shabaab attacks in Somali
In 2012, professor Ongeri, then a minister of foreign affairs attended a meeting in Mogadishu.
The CS had journeyed to Somalia for a state function call. In attendance was Hassan Sheikh Mohamud, then an incoming president.
Luckily, Ongeri and all other dignitaries present survived a couple of Al-Shabaab attacks targeting the meeting.
Hon Prof Sam Ongeri family background
Samson Kegengo Ongeri is an accomplished politician and responsible family man who has raised a successful family.
His less known family comprises a beautiful wife with full-grown sons and daughters now pursuing high-profile careers.
Sam Ongeri wife, Elizabeth Ongeri
The wife of Kisii County senator Sam Ongeri holds the legacy of a respected medical officer at the Kenyatta National Hospital.
Elizabeth Ongeri was formerly a deputy nursing officer at KNH medical centre.
In unrelated news, Sam Ongeri’s spouse Elizabeth Ongeri was mentioned in a City Hall Scandal of Ksh 141 million in April 2001.
Zipporah Wandera, then Nairobi Town Clerk, was among the six mentioned in this multimillion corruption case.
Sam Ongeri children, sons and daughters
Samson Kegengo Ongeri and Elizabeth Ongeri have four children working and living in different parts of the world.
1. Caroline Ongeri, a professional engineer
Sam Ongeri’s firstborn daughter Caroline is now about 50 years old. She is a trained professional engineer based in Kenya.
Caroline Ongeri biography indicates that she was formerly a board member of Kenya’s Institute of Education in Democracy.
Besides, Caroline works as a deputy managing director of the Lake Turkana Wind Power Project.
This Turkana County power project is by far the largest single private investment valued at about Ksh 70 billion.
2. Nyagaka Ongeri, a senator’s Wall Street rich son
Highlights from Nyagaka Ongeri biography show that he is a New York tycoon-banker with considerable stakes in Wall Street.
Some sources credit Nyagaka Ongeri as being the senior-most Wall Street banker from Kenya.
Better still, Nyagaka works for Barclays International as a managing director in charge of Global Corporates.
The 50-year-old Nyagaka attended St Mary’s School, where the renowned Jeff Koinange of JKL and President Uhuru Kenyatta also studied.
He is now an MBA holder from Harvard Business School. News about Nyagaka Ongeri wedding Eva in 2011 spiced the hearts of many.
Elsewhere, Nyagaka is an AMREF Health Africa USA board member with over 18 years of working experience in Barclays International.
3. Dr Sylvia Ongeri of KNH
Sylvia is a well-travelled daughter of Sam Ongeri. She schooled at Loreto Convent and then Baraton University.
Later on, she moved to Canada, where she enrolled at the University of Toronto.
Ongeri Sylvia has since returned to Kenya and is currently practicing as a dentist at the Nairobi-based Kenyatta National Hospital.
4. Fiona Ongeri, a chemist and researcher
An interest in BSc. Pharmaceutical and Chemical Science airlifted Fiona to Brighton University in the United Kingdom.
She later completed her Ms. Chemistry studies at the University of Texas.
Fiona worked at Baylor College of Medicine as a Sequencing Team Manager before flying back to Kenya. Fiona Ongeri husband is Vincent Aberi.
Who is the senator of Kisii?
Professor Sam Ongeri is the current Kisii County senator. He is the second Kisii senator after Christopher Mogere Obure, who served between 2013 and 2017.
Samson Kegengo Ongeri biography and salary
Senator Sam Ongeri takes home a monthly salary of about 700k, according to the latest stats from the Salaries and Remuneration Commission (SRC).
The amount does not include lucrative allowances and other due privileges for members of the senate.
Sam Ongeri net worth value
Professor Sam Ongeri is the owner of multimillion properties that channels a fortune. The tune of Sam Ongeri wealth is likely in the nine-figure bracket.
We will share the exact figures of his wealth as soon as he releases them.
Samson Kegengo Ongeri biography and news
Ongeri is among other Kisii leaders calling for political unity in the larger Gusii community.
Senator Sam Ongeri contacts
- Phone number: 0202221291
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: https://profsamongeri.com
Connect with Sam Ongeri and learn more about his progressive agenda as the Kisii County senator.
Samson Kegengo Ongeri biography rounds up the story of a leader who has given his all in power positions. A blend of careers as a physician and politician summarises his profound experience in governance.